Welcome to the page of the Biotechnology Department of the National Aviation University!
Biotechnology is a modern branch of knowledge that based on the industrial use of natural and genetically modified living organisms (cells of microorganisms, plants, animals) or their products to meet human needs.
Biotechnology is one of the most knowledge-intensive, promising and highly profitable industries, as in most developed countries it has the highest priority in the scientific and technical sphere. This science is connected with all spheres of human life, contributing to the effective development of all sectors of the economy.
Biotechnology as a science is at the junction of cellular and molecular biology, molecular genetics, biochemistry and bioorganic chemistry, so graduates have the opportunity to choose the link of activity that is most interesting for them, and also have professional flexibility, since the complex knowledge gained over the years of study allows them to change the direction of work.
Therefore, the training of biotechnologists is carried out not only according to classical programs in the field of biology, chemistry, biology, microbiology, genetic engineering but also in the field of technology, engineering, modelling and optimization of processes. Such a multifaceted combination of knowledge allows to train and graduate highly qualified specialists after education at the Department of Biotechnology. So our graduate has a complete understanding of all processes occurring in production that allows them to occupy managerial positions at enterprises.
At the Biotechnology Department of NAU specialists are trained in specialty 162 “Biotechnology and Bioengineering” (bachelor, master) in educational and professional programs:
• Pharmaceutical biotechnology
• Environmental biotechnology and bioenergy
Specialists with qualifications in pharmaceutical biotechnology are engaged in the production of biologically active substances, such as proteins, enzymes, insulin, interferon, growth hormones, amino acids, organic acids, vitamins, antibiotics and other biological products using living organisms (cells of microorganisms, animals and plants) for the needs of pharmaceutical , veterinary, food and other industries.
Environmental biotechnology and bioenergy specialists help preserve biodiversity on our planet; neutralize almost all types of waste, emissions and discharges; carry out rapid testing of the state of the environment; to minimize the use of chemical fertilizers and plant and animal protection products, thanks to the use of biological preparations. Specialists help to carry out biodegradation of toxic polymeric environmental pollutants and develop alternative energy sources.
The educational process is conducted by highly qualified teaching staff in Ukrainian or English using modern pedagogical technology based on ECTS (European Credit Transfer System).
The department has specialized educational and scientific laboratories, which are equipped with the necessary material and technical base for training.
The graduates of the department are in demand by employers and are successfully employed in the following areas:
• pharmaceutical, medical, microbiological, energy, processing, food, agricultural, space and aviation, scientific, educational spheres that are in demand on the world market;
• in government agencies, laboratories;
• in research institutions for quality control and product certification;
• in research institutions and higher educational institutions.
The priority directions of development of the department are:
• obtaining biologically active substances such as proteins, enzymes, insulin, interferon, growth hormones, amino acids, organic acids, vitamins, antibiotics and various biological products using living organisms (cells of microorganisms, animals and plants) for the needs of veterinary, perfumery, food and other industries;
• development of the concept of an ecologically balanced system of the aviation industry;
• selection of methanogenic microorganisms and development of biofuel production technology;
• solution of scientific and applied problems of biological safety of airports and air transport;
• development of theoretical and practical foundations of dispersion and extraction of plant raw materials, development of functional food products using botanical extracts;
• microbiological aspects of biotechnological production of environmentally friendly products;
• development of technologies for soil bioremediation from technogenic pollution;
• theoretical and practical foundations of biofuel production;
• development of technologies for control of microbial contamination of aviation fuels;
• solving urgent and promising biotechnological problems in the field of air, water and soil safety control;
• study of the effect of nanoparticles on the vital activity of various types of microorganisms.
We future applicants to join our department, and scientists and stakeholders invite to cooperation!
Head of the Department of Biotechnology,
Doctor of Agricultural Sciences, Professor
MYKHAILO M. BARANOVSKYI